Here is our list of favorite tools and supplies for building healthy soil using the sheet mulching method.
- A flat shovel will help with turf removal
- A Garden Fork will help with breaking up the soil just a little
- Landscaping flags will help you identify where the irrigation heads are
To actually do the sheet mulching you will need a concentrated form of soil biology such as Worm Castings or Marilyn’s Own Tri-C Soluble Humate. You will also need painters or builders paper if you can’t stockpile enough cardboard or newspaper.
- Get this from your local green waste recycling plant – Miramar and AgriService (Oceanside and Otay Mesa) for us in San Diego County, or
- Tree trimmers often have to pay to get rid of chipped up tree trimmings, and will happily drop them off in your yard. Be on the look out for tree trimmers working in your neighborhood, and ask.