Want to treat yourself or a gardener in your life to some new garden tools? Here are our tried and tested tools, books, watering tools and gift ideas.
Full disclosure: we do earn a small amount of money from Amazon if you choose to buy these tools. This helps us cover the costs of our website hosting, our plant budget and our tool budget. We so appreciate your support.
For a beginning gardener, hand tools are the easiest to start collecting. The must have items on our list would include the following:
- Bamboo Work & Gardening Gloves for Women & Men – Everyone needs a good pair of gardening gloves. Protecting your hands from cuts and scrapes is a must.
- All-in-one Garden Tool Set with folding stool – This garden stool helps not only provide a comfortable way to crouch down, but also provides a great place to store and organize tools.
- 30 Gallon Kangaroo Gardening Bag – These pop-up bags are great for collecting weeds, garden clippings or produce as you move around the yard.
- Traditional Bypass Pruning Shears – A good pair of pruning shears will serve you well for shaping and pruning your plants.
- Japanese Hori Hori Garden Landscaping Digging Tool – This digging knife is indispensable. Use it to dig out weeds and grass, plant small holes, mix potting soil and cut string.
- Sloggers Women’s Rain and Garden Shoe – these shoes are perfect for pottering around in the yard. Comfortable and waterproof, if they get muddy just wash them off. Keep a pair by the backdoor to beckon you out into the yard.
- Having a Wide Brim Sun Hat really does protect you from the sun, and allows you to garden for longer during the middle of the day.
Larger Garden Tools
- Tumbler Composter – Having a place to put garden waste that helps create beautiful free compost saves all the additional trips to the landfill or green waste recycling operation and keeps the goodness in your own yard.
- Having a greenhouse, either a 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse or a Walk-in Greenhouse, allows you to extend the length of the growing season and get a jump start on Spring seedlings.
The Fiskars Long Handle Digging Shovel is perfect for working in heavy soils. The long straight handle moves more soil and rocks with less effort.
- The Ames True Temper Square Point D Shaped Wood Handle Shovel is great for moving loose materials like mulch and compost.
- The Fiskars 46 Inch steel D-handle Transplanting Spade is great for digging up and moving plants around the garden. It makes light work of loosening the soil ball around roots, and it’s small blade digs just the right size hole.
For The Armchair Gardener
All of us find ourselves confined to the house from time to time, be it due to the weather, the short days or a physical limitation. What better way to spend the time than planning using the excellent Moleskine Passion Journal – Gardening. This gardening journal contains 5 themed sections and 5 tabbed sections to personalize. It contains plant and pot information, hardiness zones, a garden log, and garden design grids. Take notes of your plants and the care they need, and use the 200+ adhesive labels to personalize your journal.