We are thrilled to be joined this week by Rob Avis of Verge Permaculture and we are talking about alternative energy.
In this podcast we talk about:
- With the reality of climate change hitting us hard, we share the most influential YouTube video that can give us all hope
- Why Denmark is a nation to emulate when it comes to quality of life and energy independence
- How to overcome NIMBYism (Not In My Back Yard) with renewable energy, and ideas for community based renewable energy
- Why solar is the future of renewables and traditional power stations are heading the way of the dinosaurs
- What we can do to protect our homes from an aging power grid
- What three steps we can take NOW to improve our own energy efficiency
- Change the color of your house
- Stop sun coming in the windows during the summer
- Grow plants and trees to shade the house
- How the landscape around our house can cool by 5-10 degrees
- Using a misting kit
Diane Downey and Sheri Menelli specialize in earth-friendly landscaping practices, including vegetable gardening, rainwater capture, soil health, native plants, and efficient irrigation. Diane is a professional landscape designer with over 10 years’ experience, and Sheri is a certified permaculture designer with a six-year-old food forest in her backyard. Combined, they have over two decades of teaching experience. Their classes are taught to the public in the classroom, in the field, and via one-on-one garden coaching sessions.